The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Things can only get better

Sunday was my first race meeting of the season and it couldn't have been worse - really!
We arrived at Raceland around midday to find a good turnout for this non championship
meeting. It was only 2 degrees and the track was very slippy during practice. At least there was no ice (well, not much). In heat 1 I started 12th and I got no further than the first corner before one of the engines failed. So I crawled back to the pits and jumped into a spare kart, re-joining in last place and 2 laps down. I managed to get the fastest lap of the heat but was classified as a non finisher. It was then straight back out to start third on the grid. This time I made it to turn two before an enigne stopped. It restarted OK, but I was again last. The problem was the clutch on the left hand engine was binding so coming out of both hairpins it was on the verge of cutting out. I managed to work my way back to 7th by the end, but wasn't happy!. In my 3rd heat I got punted into the tyres at the first corner,
again having to get out of the kart, but this time to extract it from the tyres. Again I set the fastest lap of the heat, and at that point of the day, finishing again in 7th. My friends reckoned I had all the bad luck going and Mr Alsop uttered the famous words " It can't get any worse". Well, as expected it did. I made a good start from 8th and was up to 4th. The fastest part of the circuit is a long downhill straight into a flat out (in the dry) right hander. The guy in 3rd braked for this corner and spun off allowing me to go for the inside; unfortunatly he
bounced off the tyres straight into my path. It was a big impact, and my kart was pretty broken.
It was a long walk back to the pits....

So 2 7th places and 2 DNFs for my worst ever finish at Raceland. Next weekend I'm off to Crail to partner Ros in the 3 x 1hr races. Let's hope he doesn't read this

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home