The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

A tale of two races

Sunday, surprisingly, dawned dry and blustery. After yesterday's shenanigans, I was really up for a battle or two. For race 2 I once again started in 13th place and again I made a good start getting up to 10th by Riches, the first corner, which is taken at somewhere between 100 and 110mph. The infamous M. Powell had started along side me on the grid and he chased me hard for the next 10 laps. I was having real trouble getting the car slowed down for the last corner, Russell which is a right/left sort of chicane. MP was all over me under braking but I was better on the exit so was quite comfortable with him being so close - Until I made a mistake and he boosted past me on the pit straight - I immediately retook the place on the exit of the next corner, which is a bog standard 90 degree right taken around 70mph. True to form, he was all over me in the braking zone into Russell, but he overcooked it on the exit and that was the last I saw of him. 10th was a good result!

The 3rd race of the weekend started with a very light rain falling and all of the cars on slicks. Again my start, from 13th (where else) was PDG, and I made it up to 10th again (guess who was right behind me!). The track was really greasy so it was no surprise when Josh Webber and Viktor Jensen took each other off at Riches on lap 5 - I then got along side Chris Hyman and Gino Ussi down the back straight, but the safety car came out and I had to back out of it. We circulated behind the SC for 3 laps during which the guy in 3rd managed to spin at Sear - He then proceeded to overtake everyone to go back to 3rd - When I left Snetterton, the result was still being debated - and not just for this misdemeanour. The rain got a bit heavier so they red flagged it and declared it a wet race for the remaining. Meanwhile, they had extracted the cars of Josh and Viktor and they allowed them to start from the back on the new grid, albeit 3 laps down. So in the pits, I decided that I was going to stay on slicks, so we softened the rear anti roll bar to compensate for the damp track - However, I was forced to fit wet tyres, and we didn't have time to reset the rear bar or adjust the front, so my car became an understeering monster - I just couldn't get it to turn in to any of the corners. I lost 4 places going into Sear on lap 1 of the now 10 lap sprint to the finish. I eventually found a grippy wet line and managed to work my way back to 6th by the end. All in all, not a great weekend, but not bad either, coz the car is in one piece - despite Mr Powell, and a hairy moment on the grass at Riches 3 laps from the end.

2 Comments:

At 10:53 pm, Blogger Dominic said...

Congratulation Mr DJ.

 
At 10:31 pm, Blogger Dominic said...

Are you not going to be blogging your swansong?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home