The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Setup

On Sunday I joined Ros at Crail raceway for 3 x one hour endurance races. Ros bought himself a second hand Anderson kart at the end of last year, and this is our third trip to Crail to race it. Like the rest of the country, we had a very wet day on Sunday, which gave us a few problems. In the practice sessions we were over a secon off the pace of the leaders, and we couldn't figure out why. So race 1 was fairly uneventful with us quick enough for 4th place but way behind the top 3. The second race is a reverse grid of the finishing positions from race 1, so we stated on the second last row, but I got a great start and was up to 4th by the end of the first lap when I got tapped into a spin by Scott in the Apollo Racing kart (the team I raced at the UK 24hr with!) - it was just a slight tap, and not deliberate, but I spent the next 30 mins fighting my way back up to 5th. Ros then took over and finished the race in 5th. We then had a good look at the front end of the kart and found that we'd gone the wrong way with the castor setting (try google!). We quickly changed it and Ros started the final race - He was up to third and, at last, keeping pace with the leaders with the kart having way more front grip. However, |Ros then had 3 spins in as many laps and came in to the pits - The castor adjustment bolt on the left front had worked loose and negated our change - We got it fixed pretty quickly, only losing 1 lap, and I went out for the last 30 odd minutes - The kart was much better than it had been earlier, and I managed to get back up to 4th by the end. We now know exactly how to set the kart up for wet or dry at crail, so hopefully we'll be on the podium next time - Eric and Ros (Apollo) finished 1st, so we know if we get the kart right, we can win. I've now got a weekend off before I head to Snetterton for the first round of thre Formula Palmer Audi Autumn Trophy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home