The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Monday, September 26, 2005

Yellow


I was lucky enough to be at Brands Hatch for the inaugural A1GP metting - I even got to compete in two races in front of the 45,00+ crowd.

Friday was spent getting used to the car over 2 test sessions, closely followed by 2 quallifying sesions that saw me 14th and 12th with a fastest lap of 1:28.120.

Saturday: I met up with the guy who paints my lid for me - He, as usual, had created a work of art.

Sunday: Race one was great fun - I latched onto the tail of a group of about 6 cars and was feeling pretty confident for later in the race, as I hadn't used any of the 48 seconds of overboost. Howerver, Bruce Hodges was forced off track by Daniel Tapinios and spun back across track in front of me - I had to brake hard to avoid him, and that was end of the racing - The train of cars was now 8-10 seconds ahaead, so I settled for 11th place and brought the car home in one piece.

Race 2 was after the A1GP feature race, and it was a bit mad - On lap one Stuart Prior spun on the exit of Paddock Hill and the yellow flags were out for someone having an incident at Druids - 3 cars passed me on the way into Druids, totaly ignoring the yelolow flags - I got pretty pissed off at this and then set aboout catching them. After 4 laps we had the safety car for a lap and then after another 2 laps we had it again for 2 laps. So 8 laps, and no boost used - I got the tyres back up to temperature on lap 9 and then just as I dived up the inside of Terry White on the exit of Surtees, the heavens opened. For the 3rd time in the race I got along side Bill Knowles on the exit of Hawthorn, but then the red flags came out, ending the race.

I guess I'm a bit disapointed in my own driving, but when I take stock, all of the guys I was racing against have had 15 races to my 2. I hadn't even sat in the car this year, so 11th and 12th wasn't so bad. Let's hope I can push a bit harder in the Autumn Trophy.

3 Comments:

At 4:38 pm, Blogger Daniel said...

how many people were you racing against?

 
At 4:49 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

21 - Same as my IQ :-)

 
At 11:54 pm, Blogger Dominic said...

Nice helmet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home