The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Monday, August 15, 2005

A Sunday to forget

Today was the seventh round of the Raceland Super GP kart series. I guess I shouldn't be too annoyed at today's events, as I can't make it to the final in November, coz I'm racing FPA at Brands Hatch, but I got really pissed off.

I started from 13th in my first heat, and managed to make it up to third by the chequered flag- looking good so far.

I started last in my second heat, and was up to 8th by half way round lap one - some asshole then decided that I wasn't getting past and as I came up his outside, he sidewalled me into the tyres - which hurt a lot! Maybe he didn't see me, coz he's blind, but I'm sure it was deliberate.

So I got to start from the back of the next heat - going well, with me up to 6th by the end of lap one, when driver 30 completely missed his braking point into the hairpin and T-boned me as I got back on the throttle, punting me into the tyres - I eventually got the kart out in last place - I knew he'd been penalised, and that our finishing positions would be swapped, which is what happend - I was awarded 6th, but I think I'd have finished higher.

Never mind, I was on pole for the next heat - But one of the engines kept cutting out in the pits, so they put out in a spare kart, with cold tyres. So from the start I managed to stay in the lead despite sliding all over the place - On lap 2 I got a slight tap from Paul Healy, who is a clean driver, and coz the tyres were still a bit below operating temp, I went straight into the tyres again. Three times in one day - In June I had a neanderthal ex stock car racer (don't know his name) put me off circuit twice in one heat (I still finished first that day) - So now I'm chasing him for 12th place - And just like in June, he was too much of a needle-dick to allow anyone to make a clean pass - He pushed me into the tyres at the fastest corner of the circuit - This guy is going to seriously injure someone if the folk at Raceland don't take a stand.

Last heat and I'm starting from fourth with Eric (fast big bloke) in front of me. Managed to get him and then spent 5 laps catching up with the leader who I got past with 1 lap to go.

Overall, a shit day, but still finished sixth of thirty two.

Next week, I'm off to the UK 24hr race at Whilton Mill (near Northampton). I'm driving with Eric, Noel, Scott and Ros for Apollo Racing. Oh and on Wedneday I'm having a day at Brands Hatch GP circuit in a Radical SR4 with tuition from Michael Vergers (a very fast Dutchman).


Just to really make my day, Justin Wilson gets taken out at the first corner of the CHAMP car race in Denver - Maybe I should have gone to work instead:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home