The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Musical Karts

Dom arrived at my house around 8:15 and we set of for Edinburgh in my new (to me) S3. This is my 3rd S3 and I had it for just over a week. When we got to Edinburgh the track was still pretty damp, allthough it wasn't quite as cold as it has been of late. After about 15mins of the half hour practice, I came in to change my kart, as it just wouldn't turn left - They changed it, but the next kart was just the same, so I put it down to me. I still finished qualifying in 4th so not too bad. However, after 30 minutes of the race I came back in to the pits as Dom had lapped me. Again they changed the kart - what a difference, I was now right on the pace, and later learned I was trading fastest laps with Dom. However, after another 30 mins or so the kart suddenly wouldn't turn right, coz the left rear tyre had worn through to the canvas and deflated. So back into the pits, where after 2-3 mins they produced another kart, which after half a lap I knew was the one I had started the race with - So back into the pits where they didn't have any more karts and I had my first retiral of the year :-( It was good for Dom, as he and Scott won the endurance championships as the other contender, Michael, had an engine fail. So a frustrating day but at least I didn't finish last!

8 Comments:

At 4:11 pm, Blogger Dominic said...

I should like to make it known that the bit about me arriving at DJs house is not true, as I have never been to his house (yet).

However, I will allow the bit about me lapping him.

 
At 10:06 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Dominic has never lapped me (yet)
DJ

 
At 2:23 am, Blogger Daniel said...

Thinking of puns relating to dancing...

Why back to the S3? i thought you said that the TDi was just as fast in the dry?

 
At 7:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, but there is a twist, this one has had it's suspension heavily modified - In the wet it corners as fast as the TDi did in the dry (ask DJB!) plus the engine output is selectable, in a two step fashion, between 220, 250 and 280 bhp. And the prediction of a hard winter means quattro is a must for good locomotion :-)

 
At 3:39 pm, Blogger Daniel said...

who is djb, and why do you scare him with fast driving in the rain?

if it's a two step selectable, why have you got three possible outputs?

when you boost to 280, surely that's all in turbo, so it's not going to affect economy that much? what i mean is, why bother with the switch, why not leave it on all the time? if it was 150-280, i can see the point, but 250-280? doesn't seem worthwhile.

gimmick?

 
At 3:51 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

DJB is a work colleauge commonly known as Dom (we'll call this one Old Dom or DJB for short).
I've never heard of a dance called a three step, but the last change also moves the torque from 250lb/ft to 310lb/ft which makes a massive difference. I also gives the exhaust a lovely rumba :-)

 
At 1:49 pm, Blogger Daniel said...

And so there is another Dom at The Sky? Either that, or mister butler has a middle initial J which I didnt know about.

The turbo changing wotsit still sounds like a pointless toy to me - if you have this, you need to go the whole hog and put tube lights underneath as well.

 
At 12:02 am, Blogger Dominic said...

Mr Butler does indeed have a middle initial J that you didn't know about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home