The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Getting There!

Sunday at Crail raceway was an eventful but ultimaltly frustrating meeting. The track was still damp from Saturday's rain, so we completed both practice sessions on wet tyres. And we were pretty quick, qualifying second for race 1.
Whilst on the grid, Ros noticed that the front bumper was missing it's 2 securing bolts, but we hadn't enough time to fix it. Ros ran well for his 30 minute stint and handed over to me in a comfotable second place. I got to about 2 seconds behind the leader when the front bumper came loose through the tight in-field section. With the new 'dustbin lid' front panel the only thing stopping the bumper from falling off, I expected to loose time to the leader, but I contuinued to catch him. On the entry to the roundabout (top corner), I got up the inside and was just getting back on the power when the whole front panel/bumper caught under the left front wheel and sent us both off the circuit. I got back on quickly and extened my lead only to get the black/orange flag as the panel was swinging around on evey corner. We lost nearly 10 laps fixing it and finished race 1 last, despite setting the fastet lap. I quickly found Eric, and apologised for taking him off - I think he understood that it was just one of those things. By this time the track had a dry-ish line and I was adamant that we should go with slick tyres for race 2. Around half the grid thought the same. I'd got up to around 5th but managed to go off at the roundabout on lap 5, losing about half a lap. The rest of my stint was spent catching back up with the leaders. Ros also had an off at the same place in his stint but we still finished 5th. Race 3 was our best yet with a solid run to 2nd , over a lap up on 3rd place. We reckon that there is still some more time to come from setup as we were running way too much castor in the dry, so we're hoping for a win next month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home