The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Team F'Sport

Today the full F'Sport team met up for the first time at Raceland's 90 minute endurance race. Ian partnered Sarah 'O', Jack and I shared a kart, as did Neil and Craig. Kenny was also out with Ian's son, Ewan.

We arrived to find a wet track and it started raining heavily just before practice. I did the first 15 mins of driving with Jack finishing the session, with us lining up second behind David Rooke/Michael McGuigan. Craig and Neil were 3rd with the others further down the field. I quite like driving in the wet, and even the new slow karts were quite challenging in these type of conditions. I started the race and managed to squeeze past Michael on lap one - the kart didn't feel very quick in a straight line, but handled nicely and I managed to build up a nine second lead by half way. The track was just starting to dry up a bit and I could see that Michael had started to close up, so on the in lap I pushed (too hard!) and managed to spin - Even so I was right on Michael back bumper as I peeled off into the pits for Jack to take over. Within another 10 or so laps, there was a dry line, and after another 10-15, the track was as good as dry - This was bad news for us, as Jack was getting passed by folk while going down the main straight - He kept going and managed to finish 3rd behind the young Testosterone guys and David/Michael, but our quickest lap was over 2 seconds slower than the leaders - a bit discouraging.
I'll say it again, these are new karts and there should not be such a huge difference between them (as much as 5%!). See The Racing Drivers Excuse Book, point Number #27 :-)

The F'Sport team are planning to go down to Buckmore Park in Kent, as they have the same karts that we will be driving in Thailand, which uses the same chassis as the Raceland karts, but they have a 390cc engine (270cc at Raceland). Check out the team at www.fsportkarting.com.

Neil can't make it to Crail next weekend, so Michael is teaming up wuth Craig - Should be fun.

I'm also off to Bedford Autodrome on Friday for a day of fun:-))))))))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home