The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Such a Perfect day

Spring is here at last, and we had a day of sunshine, and great racing at Crail Raceway, for the first round of the Summer Endurance Championship. The last two MSA Sprint meetings at Crail have been cancelled due to lack if entries, but we had 27 karts out today - weird?

Any way, at the last round of the Winter Series, we (RD Racing) achieved out first win. We were a bit worried about the kart as Ros had to strip the whole kart down to weld a new brake bracket on. He then sent it away to get powder coated and , because of the easter weekend, didn't get it back 'till last Wednesday. So he spent many late hours rebuilding the kart, and fitting the new brake system. He only finished it late last night, so we didn't know what to expect.

There was some issue with the timing system, so the grid for race 1 and 2 were drawn from the hat - In practice I reckoned the kart was as good, if not better , than it had been last month. I started 13th in race 1 and 15th in race 2. Both follwed pretty much the same pattern, with me chasing, and getting past, Chris Miiler (Milwalk) and Grant Murray (MBM). The kart was handling fantasticly well, and I handed over to Ros in P1 - Ros and I drive totally differently, but post very similar lap times, so Ros took the chequered flag in both races. In both races I had set the fastest lap time of the day, (1 on short circuit and 1 on long) so for race 3 I startd on Pole. Chris got past me once on lap 4, but I got back past him at the next corner, and that was it. Again I handed over to Ros in the lead, and he extended that lead by the flag. He also beat my best lap for race 3 by 6/100ths to give us a clean sweep of fastest laps and race wins.

Craig and Neil, from the F'Sport team for Thailand, were also there and despite losing 14 laps min race 1 due to being punted by somebody (not me!) managed to finish in the top 10 with a 6th in race 3 being their best result to date.

Does it get any better?

And then home.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home