The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Karts Last Stand

At last - after today, no more of the old karts at Raceland (or so we're told). The new Sodi karts are being shipped later this week. Back to today, which started out pretty wet, and the format was adjusted to the same as last month, coz they didn't have enough serviceable karts. Race 1 saw me start 7th and finish 2nd. A pretty good start - The wet conditions allow slower karts to be competitive. In heat 2 I made a great startfrom last and was up to third, but the first time I had to use the brakes in anger the rears locked up and off I went. I recovered to fourth by the end but still felt at least second had been on the cards. For the first six heats, the kart on pole had won every race (kart 2) - I had it for heat 7 and true to form, it was way quicker than the other 2 karts I'd been in, and I took an easy win. In heat 9 I started from fourth, but with the track almost dry, I decided to go for it on the first few laps - It worked and I got to first which I maintained to the finish. This put me in the lead for the day, with one heat left to run - Young Shaun, who would equal my points total for the day if he won, was starting from the back and he made up a few places through the first hairpin only to be stuffed into the tyres by one of the neanderthals. But that just made him drive harder, and we watched in awe as he caught up with and passed the whole field to win by just over a second. Stunning. That put us equal, but Shawn beat my best lap time and so he took top spot. Still, second is a good result, and now we can look forward to some real racing next month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home