The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Too Good? Could Be....

On Tuesday night 2 F'Sport teams took part in a indoor charity endurance race in aid of Childline at ScotKart in Cambuslang. I started karting there in 2003 and have always found it to be a fun place to race. Our 2 teams started from the back of the grid and finished first and second - Craig, Noel, Kenny, Kenny and Steve beat Me , Dom, Neil, Euan and Ian by just over a lap and deserved their win. After the race the podium announcement was interrupted by some guy saying that the whole event was a fix and that our teams had been cheating! Amazingly, he got a lot of vocal support, and when someone tried to point out that we were raising money for charity, he started shouting and swearing. I'd thought no more about it 'till I got a call from Ian, the following morning, saying that F'Sport were no longer welcome at Scotkart - The management had decided that due to complaints from most other teams, he had no choice, on commercial grounds, but to ask us not to return. The first time I've ever heard of a team being banned for being too good. We got no black flags, unlike many of the other teams, whose driving was simply appalling. We didn't set the fastest lap, that was done by the Vodaphone team, but we did all wear our F'Sport race suits and looked professional - obviously a crime:-( Neil Dom & I are due to join up with Neil's brother, Fraser to defend our champion of champions title in a couple of weeks at ScotKart as Team ITW - will we be allowed to race? What a bizarre decision.

On the plus side, I've got a busy few weeks coming up. Firstly I've got a bit of fun on Sunday with my first race in a while at Raceland in the endurance championship - I'm hoping for rain to make it interesting. Then it's down to the serious stuff the following weekend with the final round of the summer endurance series at Crail. We're leading the field by 15 points going into the final round, so we've still got work to do.

It gets better; I've been asked to race in the Monaco Kart GP over the weekend of Oct 21/22nd - This event usually attracts a few current and past F1 drivers! Don't know much more at the moment, but more details to follow.


And just to top things off, I've been offered a drive in a Radical SR4 at Spa in Belgium over the 6th-8th of October in the Radical World Cup - I'm currently trying to find the three thousand pounds plus that I'll need to compete - Again more details to follow.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home