The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Crail ProKart Endurance - Summer Series Round 2

What a day (Sunday 17th May) - I was again driving with Fraser Adam in his MS kart in the Crail Summer Endurance Championship.

I managed to take pole and was leading race 1 - after about 15 mins I got a horrible vibration through the in-field, and as I entered pit bend, the kart swapped ends and I saw my left rear wheel bouncing over the pit wall. I looks like 2 of the 3 wheel bolts had worked loose hence the vibration, and then when I turned in, the studs sheared. Still, we got it fixed and and Fraser went back out to finish 17th.

I started race 2 from the back (reverse grid) and somehow found my self leading after 3 laps! Young Scott in the SA Racing kart got past me when I made a hash of the roundabout, but I then just sat on his bumper 'till it was time for Fraser to take over. He was running a close third when the front 2 tangled with 2 laps to go and we took the win and the fastest lap for me. This put us 7th for the final, and I spent the first 4 laps getting up to 3rd. Scott and Grant (MBM) were about 5 seconds up the road and I set about catching them, which I was doing, but then the left hand engine started mis-firing. A quick trip to the pits found the ignition lead was shorting against the casing, and once fixed, I continued to finish the race in 5th, with Chris Miller beating me to the quickest lap by 0.002 on the second last lap :-).

So we had the pace, but not the luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home