The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Formula V - Second Race at Snetterton

After Saturdays unexpectedly good result, I kind of reset my goals for race 2 with  a top 10 finish the target. Sunday was much brighter, but still only 11 degrees, so we decided not to make any changes to the car. Given that in race one, I was still nearly 2 seconds off the quickest lap, it seemed the right thing to do.

I got another decent start getting me up to 9th by the first corner and from then on I had a great time as I got to grips with the car on a track with plenty of grip (i.e no oil down!). I had spoken to a number of drivers (they're a friendly lot in V) and all had said that Coram Curve should be flat out. I hadn't tried this during Saturdays race, due to the oil slick, but on lap 3 I gave it a go and nearly ended up in the wall.

The FV cars don't have any aerodynamic wings, and compared to an FPA car, or a kart, are prone to understeer. So when I turned into Coram flat chat it just didn't want to do it and I ended up 'dancing' round the outside of the corner, but thankfully, I managed to stay on the circuit (just). Speaking to the guy who was behind me, I was turning in too late (lesson learnt!) - It works fine from that turn in point in an FPA car, but I guess I'll need to adjust my driving style to suit – not too much though, coz I was still catching a trio of drivers, mostly under braking. Once on their tail, I used the slipstream to good effect and found myself up behind Ben Anderson, who I had had a decent tussle with race 1. This is where I learnt lesson 2. I managed to get past Ben in to the Esses and as I crossed the line, I got the last lap board. Ben was right behind me and did to me what I'd done to him, drafting past me into the Esses. I braked really late to try and maintain the place, but I could also see that we were fast catching a backmarker so I slowed a bit more into the second part of the Esses and managed to get back past Ben into the Bomb Hole. I put this down to good driving, but Ben suddenly disappeared from my mirrors and I later found out he'd blown his engine :-(

So after a 5th on Saturday, I got a 4th on Sunday and managed to do a 1:19.55, only 6/10ths of the fastsest lap of the day and 4th quickest.

Currently 3rd in the championship (after 2 races) DJ is a happy racer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home