The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Crail: Round 4

I think it's now mathematically impossible for us to retain our championship for the third consecutive year:-( I don't think we've got slower, but a few teams have really stepped up the pace.

Todays winners were SA racing with 2 wins and a second. MBM were second with a win and 2 seconds and F-Sport picked up their first ever podium with 2 3rds and a 5th. We managed a 3rd, 4th and 5th giving us another 4th:-)

It had started pretty well with me again having a decent qualifying, managing to get second, only 8/100ths from Ryan Cannon in the SA kart, who took pole.

Race 1 was fairly straight forward with Grant in the MBM kart getting past me on the first lap, and that was about it. No matter what I did I couldn't stop the front 2 pulling away about 2/10ths a lap. Ros was coming under pressure from Chris Miller in the Milady kart, but the flag came out early at 50 minutes and 3rd was our best result this year! The early finish was due to the timing computers being very late in arriving, courtesy of Mr Kirkcaldy who partners Chris in the Milady kart.

Race 2 was the usual reverse grid - I got a poor start and was hit 4 times on the first 2 laps, but managed to make my way to 4th. Ros again brought us home in that position.
It's really strange, last month Ros was about 5/100ths quicker than me and we did nothing to the kart, even running the same tyres, yet I was 2 tenths quicker today?????

Anyway, for race 3 I lined up 3rd, but again got hit on lap one, dropping me to 7th - I quickly managed to get back to 5th and then past Alan K in the Milady kart to put me in 4th - After the change overs, Ros and Chris Miller had a great battle for the last 15 mins with Chris taking the position on the last lap, which bumped us off of the podium.

We need to test - That's the bottom line, but Ros is just too busy, so c'est la vie!

I asked a few folk about the idea of having a Crail based team at Le mans next year, and it seems it may happen. The only downside is that I might not be quick enough to make the team - I guess we'll see if interest turns into a real team. My picks would be - well that shall remain with me for the moment - any suggestions?

August sees the first Crail ProKart festival, with races happening over 2 days. Looking forward too it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home