The Racers Edge

At the age of 40, I decided to go motor racing - The ultimate mid life crisis.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fomula V - Castle Combe

My second meeting in Formula V was at the very bumpy Castle Combe circuit in Wiltshire. I raced there once before in 2003 and didn't do very well :-(

Qualifying was a pain - I was having trouble selecting 3rd on the downchange which culminated in an off at the final bend (Camp Corner) but I managed to keep it out of the barriers and eventually qualified 9th, which was better than I expeceted. I say that because I was really having trouble at the 2 faster corners, Tower and Camp, coz the car just wouldn't turn in and I was losing time through both of these.

So with nothing to lose, we decided to take some rear tyre pressure away to see if that helped, but it didn't, it was worse!




I made an OK start but got boxed to the inside of the first corner, Quarry, and lost about 5 places. I manged to pick off a couple of folk fairly quickly and then had a dice with Paul Taylor and Ian Buxton - I managed to get past them both, but only just, crossing the line 0.4 seconds up on Paul with 8th my final placing.

One of the other cars run by GAC had a fix (for the understeer issue) put in place for the race and managed to improve his lap times by nearly 1.5 seconds and finish 6th, so hopefully, I'll have the same done by the time we get to Brands in 2 weeks.

Before the season, a top 10 would have been very acceptable, but after Snetterton, I know I can do better.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home